Chiropractors help millions of maturing individuals regain control of their lives every year. Our treatments are designed to eliminate acute and chronic pain, increase flexibility, improve mobility and function, increase strength, enhance balance, and increase the overall quality of one's life.
Chiropractic care involves spinal and extremity adjustive techniques, physical therapies, soft tissue therapies, dietary and nutritional counseling, exercise and fitness counseling and many other safe and natural methods to improve health and prolong a vibrant and productive life. We can show you how to get the most out of your body so that you can get the most out of life!
Why Is Chiropractic Care So Important For The Maturing Adult?
Chiropractic care is extremely important for the maturing and elderly adult because of the dramatic changes that occur in the spine with increasing age. As we age, spinal discs, facet joints, ligaments, muscles and other spinal tissues become weaker, less hydrated, more fibrotic, and less able to withstand normal stresses. As a result, spinal pain from spinal degeneration (arthritis) becomes more prominent, tissue injury from relatively benign events occurs, and the time to heal from injuries increases.
Chiropractic procedures take into consideration the nature of the aging spine and the many abnormalities present to provide a strategically effective, safe and noninvasive treatment plan. Through the use of gentle adjustive and mobilization techniques, physical therapies, and incorporation of stretching and exercise programs spinal pain is reduced, spinal stresses are decreased, flexibility and mobility are improved, and degeneration is minimized.
Treatment techniques must focus on the underlying problem and involve participation of the patient in order to be truly effective and long lasting. Treatments which solely focus on pain and other "symptoms" only, are far less effective, and are often dangerous since the conditions causing the symptoms remain untreated and uncorrected.
What Benefits Does Chiropractic Care Provide For The Maturing Adult?
Routine chiropractic care has a number of benefits which are especially important for maturing adults:
- spinal and extremity pain relief
- decreased stiffness and muscular spasms
- increased mobility and range of motion
- increased balance and coordination
- increased sense of well being
- increased energy
- enhanced tissue healing
- decreased tissue inflammation
- increased joint health
- decreased arthritis and arthritic joint pain
- minimized spinal stress and subsequent degeneration
- minimized risk of fall injuries
Are There Any Studies Showing The Benefits of Chiropractic Care In The Aging?
A recent study evaluated the health status of 414 elderly individuals (average age of 80 years) and compared those individuals under chiropractic care with those not under chiropractic care. The researchers found a number of significant findings which included:
- 87% of those who used chiropractic care rated their health as good or excellent compared with only 68% in the non chiropractic group
- 13% of those who used chiropractic care rated their health as fair or poor compared with 32% in the non chiropractic group
- 44% of those who used chiropractic care reported having arthritis compared with 66% in the non chiropractic care group
- those who used chiropractic care were more likely to do strenuous levels of exercise
- at 3 years follow-up, less than 5% of those who used chiropractic care used a nursing home while a staggering 48% of those who did not use chiropractic care did use a nursing home
- at 3 years follow-up, only 26% of those who used chiropractic care were hospitalized compared with 48% of those in the non chiropractic group
- Coulter, PhD et al. Chiropractic and Care for the Elderly. Top Clin Chiro 1996;3(2):46-55.